Thursday, July 4, 2013

Ready Or Not, Here We Go

We are ready!

Packing did seem a bit like the kids game of hide-and-seek -- The stuff I needed to pack was hiding, I spent way too long seeking.  Eventually I got smart and decided to pay any kid who found an item on my list 25 cents, I considered it money well spent! -- But now it is done and we're on our way to the airport!  Check out the master packing skills (reference previous post).


It's almost hard to believe that we booked our plane tickets 5 months ago and have been anticipating today for all that time but here it is.  We start our trip with a 2 hour drive to Dulles, 6 hour flight to Iceland, 1 hour layover, then 3 hour flight to Paris.  When we arrive it will be 1pm local time, 7am our time.  

I wish I had been recording all the crazy questions and comments from the kids about where we are going and when.  Here are just a few of the favorites, and you'll have to guess which kid said them...

  • I know we are going to Paris first, so when are we going to France?
  • Why am I not wearing dress clothes tomorrow?  Oh, you mean we're going to the airport instead of church? Mom's note that tomorrow is a Friday.
  • Justin says: Where is the first place we are going?  Kid says: The Netherlands.   Huh?
  • When do we get to go to China?
  • Only 2 more weeks until we leave!   Actually, 2 more days!  
  • I can't wait to get to Ukraine to see the goats.  Again, Huh?
Without a doubt the time questions are the most frequent and confusing.  Perhaps it is a sign that your kids are too young to appreciate this type of trip when they can't even begin to comprehend when or where you are going.  Call us crazy (we know we are) but we are looking past that issue and onto the fun that we will have when we get there and the memories we will make, whether or not they will remember them (we'll take lots of pictures to help spur their memories!).  But finally exhausted with the questions and certain they will not stop when we get there I made this simple calendar and put one in the front of each of their backpacks.  Think it will help?



But there is certainly no confusion right now, we're on our way and everyone in this car is bursting with excitement!!!  .


Wish us luck and pray for safe travels and lots of sleep on the plane.

1 comment:

  1. JILL! Those questions had me laughing so hard! Praying for your trip!

    ReplyDelete