It was the lowest of low tides when we were there which changes the view and experience but it was still very cool. And when I say cool I really mean cold, the water is freezing and apparently this is as warm as it gets. It reminded me a bit of my college years when my friends and I would go to some beach for spring break in early March and we were determined to go swimming in the ocean. Never mind that the water was still freezing and even the air was a bit cool, we were on spring break and we were going swimming gosh darn it. So all the locals laughed, we took our obligatory dip just so that we could say we had been swimming, then we'd bundle up and try to rationalize our foolishness. Well I'm happy to say that I have matured, I didn't even wear my bathing suit today, but I can't say the same for the kids. Our kids were probably the only ones on the beach in bathing suits. Most people were wearing waders and jackets and were digging for oysters. Which reminds me of my hurting feet; In addition to the massive amounts of seaweed the beach was also very shelly, not meant for bare feet, you can see how Cullen felt about it:
Actually, he ended up venturing out as far as anyone else and even let us bury him in the sand! But before we ever arrived Jax had insisted that he would be the first one to put his head in the water and he was, though no easy task, here's the proof.
He can even wear the proud badge as the only one to put his head in, and you can see why. Some of us did eventually make it out to deeper (colder) water but it was a long hard on the feet walk so most were content to play in the shallows. Especially our water loving girl, Katya!
Most of the best pictures are on our other camera so I'll have to share them another time.
Before our picnic at the beach we stopped to explore the old walled city of Vannes. It is now a modern city built within and around the remaining walls. The old buildings are amazing and combined with great shopping it was this girl's dream town. It kind of reminded me if Charlottesville's downtown mall with an extra layer of 600 years of history -- which meant more historic beauty for me to marvel at with equally great places to eat and shops that I could only afford to window shop in. These are a few pictures I took from outside the city walls, unfortunately again the best ones are on another camera, but this gives you an idea.
So tonight is sadly our last night with the LeCroms. Ethan has been learning so much French, I'm totally impressed by his ambition to talk to his cousins in French and also sad at my inability to help him every time he says "how do you say...". A few more weeks here and he would be fluent and the rest of would have fully mastered please, thank you, hello, and goodbye :). So Ethan and Elwan and Luna are camping out in the yard for their last night together.
They played some more cache cache, visited the neighbor horses, and made necklaces tonight too, we had to make the most of this last night!
Notice the inseperables in the stroller together, I'm not sure what they will do without each other next week. And I'm not sure what I'll do with our my sis for that matter. I have definitely enjoyed the relaxation of this week but that ends at 8am tomorrow when we head back to Paris and Justin and I are on full alert for the next 2 weeks.
Before I say Bonne Nuit, check out this awesome playground in Vannes. In keeping with the town's nautical theme it is made all out of ropes. So much fun! Too bad the sigh said "for kids only", and I couldnt even claim that I didn't understand the sign, it had pictures!
















No comments:
Post a Comment