When Jax started his fundraiser for the orphanage someone suggested that we contact the local paper so I mentioned it to someone I kind of knew from when I had written some articles for the paper. Then surprise, the week after we returned from our adventure I got a call from a reporter at the Daily News Record, Harrisonburg's local newspaper, and they wanted to interview me and Jax. We both proudly, in our own ways, told the reporter all about Jax's story, his fundraiser, and our trip. Sure enough a couple weeks later the newspaper arrives on our front porch and there is baby Jax on the front cover: Born of Revolution, Part I!
The first part of the story was a bit of a surprise for us, focusing on his adoption. The second part is what we were looking forward to, the part about him raising money to take to the orphanage.
The lady at the post office, the grocery store clerk, camp counselors, teachers, you name it they saw it. Jax is pretty humble about his fame, but enjoying it for sure. One of the things that struck us most is how many people still read the newspaper!
I have no idea how to or if I'm even allowed to post the article here, probably not, so if you want to read it send me an email and I'll try to get you a copy -- we only asked every single person we know to give us their paper those days! This is yet another proud mommy moment and totally scrap book worthy, as Jax has already reminded me numerous times.
These were the two cover photos:
Ukrainian Orphan Finds Place with Bridgewater Family
Kid Gets Cooking

No comments:
Post a Comment